I do have high standards, but I don't expect anything from anyone that I don't expect from myself.
---Olivia Newton-John
I could have included other quotes from Olivia Newton-John, the English-born Australian singer and actress whose most popular works spanned the 1970s and early 80s. She was a lifelong strong advocate for animal rights and, following her later breast cancer diagnosis and treatment, underwent a deep philosophical and spiritual change about what is important in life...she just passed away this past Monday from recurring cancer after years of remission. I remember it was in 1971 when I first heard of Olivia...my local pop radio station in Miami, WQAM, would play her single If Not for You, a song written by George Harrison. She would follow up on this debut success with a string of hit songs that decade, a few of which, like the monster hit I Honestly Love You, and some country-tinged tunes, I didn't particularly care for. Songs I did like...and there were a lot...included Have You Never Been Mellow, A Little More Love, Magic, and Xanadu, the last two from the soundtrack for her quirky roller-disco movie Xanadu. In 1978 she starred in the movie Grease and a couple of pleasant duets came from it between her and costar John Travolta. Another of her duets, this one with John Denver, was Fly Away and I always considered that one to be a personal favorite. In the early 1980s Oliva Newton-John tried to push a sexier public image with hits like Physical, Make a Move on Me, and Soul Kiss...I think this had a bit to do with the emerging music video industry. Her breast cancer diagnosis and treatment would come in 1992, some thirty years ago. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Olivia Newton-John and cherish the memory of her life and wonderful music. As for that above quote of hers, I think it bespeaks someone who cares about what they are involved with, and which reveals them to possess personal integrity. On the other hand, if you're pushing yourself with those high standards to be the best, then doesn't that consequently mean that, if you are successful, then others are "worse" than you? So, I'm reading that quote two different ways...think I'll just give Olivia the benefit of doubt on it...
No comments:
Post a Comment