Monday, August 15, 2022

Enjoying Starbucks, Musing on Time Off and Language Study

I'm sitting outside at my "favorite" Starbucks location on NW 39th Avenue here in northern Gainesville.  I took today off from work...paid annual leave...for two reasons: one, if I don't use enough annual leave during this calendar year, I'll lose it.  Two, taking a day off like this makes me focus on how I spend my free time, and I'm coming up on retirement in the not-too-distant future.  So, the question is, how do I spend my time that I ordinarily would be spending at work...I think this is going to be an evolving growth process: better get some more time off to figure it all out!  Anyway, during the last few days I've been evaluating my habits (or lack of habits) with foreign language study, an area of my life in which I've seemed to have hit a ceiling, leaving a number of languages on the wrong side of my ability to understand and express myself in them.  So, after some due reflection I decided to home in on just one language, namely the one in which I already have the highest ability and knowledge: Spanish.  This is convenient in that I already get several stations on my cable TV service as well as Roku, and I have a convenient app on my phone that translates Spanish words I enter into English.  My goal is to make English and Spanish co-fluent and to make a substantial enough level of progress in Spanish before I add on any other language...I've studied to a good degree a few others such as Chinese, Russian, German, and French...and even Vietnamese, Japanese, Polish, Turkish, Hungarian, Hindi and Arabic at different times in my past.  But there's no point in having just a rudimentary vocabulary and little experience in a language...better to tackle one at a time head-on until a satisfactory level of competence is establish.  Should be a fun adventure.  Well, I think I'll get back home to continue my "pre-retirement" day off...I wonder what's on Spanish TV (besides those annoying novelas)?

No comments:

Post a Comment