Monday, July 11, 2022

Podcaster Discusses Changing Mindsets

On a recent Mindset Mentor podcast, free to listen to on a number of different apps, life coach Rob Dial discussed how to go about changing our mindset (if that's what we want).  He divided the issue into two groups: people who are generally satisfied with their current life but want to make some changes, and those who are fed up across-the-board with how their life is going and how they have been living it.  For the first he advocates we purchase a small memo notebook we can carry everywhere with us and use it to write down every time we come up short in our own perceived behavior.  With this he promotes the nightly habit of reviewing our notes and devising alternative, better actions the next time the opportunity arises.  This is completely in line with what Dial has been teaching from James Clear's book Atomic Habits, which I regard as pretty brilliant.  For those in the second group who are thoroughly disgusted with their lives he recommends radical action in the form of doing everything opposite to how they have been.  So, for example he says if they normally go up an elevator then they should instead walk up the stairs.  I see his reasoning in this, but even people who think their lives are miserable and going nowhere are most likely doing some, if not most things right, and automatically going into opposite mode for its own sake sounds a bit asinine and possibly dangerous to me...oh well, I've already acknowledged that I don't always agree with Rob Dial.  But his first suggestion about the notepad sounds spot-on, I think I'll try it...

No comments:

Post a Comment