The other day I purchased Regina Spektor's new CD, titled Home, before and after...it's the seventh studio release from this highly talented and creative piano virtuoso, my favorite musical artist of this century. I waited a whopping seven years from her previous album but was amply rewarded with this one. Every track is good, and some are so emotionally engaging that I admit to a little crying while listening to them. As is the custom in my life since 1964, I rank the music I hear for each year as I walk through it. So far in 2022 I haven't hinted about my favorites from this year because, well, I hadn't heard any. Not until now: as of this moment all ten tracks on Regina's new album represent my Top Ten, with Spacetime Fairytale, Loveology, Coin and Raindrops topping the list in that order. Although I admit to scorning the sorry state of radio nowadays and their lamentable music, there are some acts I like that have either released new albums or are about to. These include Metric (Formentera), Arcade Fire (We), Kasabian (The Alchemist's Euphoria), Spoon (Lucifer on the Sofa) and The Smile (A light for attracting attention), the last group a collaboration of Radiohead members Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood. From these I'm certain to find some more songs to dilute, if only a little, Regina Spektor's dominance over my 2022 personal favorites list. I'm currently doing a weekly all-time personal favorite album feature on this blog, presenting a new one in countdown form (I'm at #23) each Sunday. It's too late to include Home, before and after on it, but it definitely could end up as a top favorite, too...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment