Friday, June 3, 2022

Quote of the Week...from Jim Carrey

Your need for acceptance can make you invisible in this world. Don't let anything stand in the way of the light that shines through this form. Risk being seen in all of your glory.            ---Jim Carrey

I've noticed that comedic actor Jim Carrey has become something of an armchair philosopher, and I find myself in agreement with a lot of what he has to say.  The above quote of his struck me in particular since for much of my life my unconscious strategy to get by was to make myself as invisible to others as possible...not so much because I craved acceptance from them, but rather so that they would stay away and not bother me.  In being like this I missed out on an important principle: like people attract like people, and for the things that mean the most to me, loudly broadcasting them to others...while possibly generating opposition and even persecution, also lets those with the same outlook and interests as me know that I'm one of them.  Eventually I would find myself in a circle of like-minded souls...no longer any need to be "invisible".  That's not exactly what I think Carrey meant...his message is that if people don't risk standing out before others, then their lives diminish as a consequence, invisible to others and, worse, invisible to themselves.  But old habits are hard to break...fortunately I think I have some keys to breaking this one, one "atomic habit" at a time...

No comments:

Post a Comment