Imagine no limitations; decide what's right and desirable before you decide what's possible.
---Brian Tracy
Brian Tracy is a motivational speaker and author who at some point decided to make a hard right turn into politics...fine for him but I'm guessing that it diluted the positive effect of everything else he was trying to do, whether or not you happen to agree with his conservative positions. As for me, I never heard Tracy until I came across a quote of his on my Soundscapes music TV channel...I checked him out on Brainy Quotes and it seems his personal development philosophy is similar to that of Rob Dial, whose podcast I regularly consult. In the above quote, Tracy isn't implying that there are no limitations to what's possible for you...he's just saying that before the calculations about what isn't possible are done you should decide the direction you think is best for you in life. I think that's pretty profound and is applicable to anyone in any situation or stage in their life. Of course, this is an individual thing and each of us are different in our experiences and outlooks...and where we might want to go, others may disagree or even vehemently oppose. But that's a later step to deal with, right? For those barriers need to first give way to the endless depths of the imagination. As for Brian Tracy's dual life as a self-improvement guru and political activist, I'm okay with it as long as he hasn't developed a persecution complex about it in the way My Pillow huckster Mike Lindell has been carrying on after he took an active interest in overthrowing the 2020 presidential election and keeping Trump in there as a fascist dictator. Another figure, Christian evangelist Franklin Graham, comes to mind as well. One minute I'm seeing him elegantly laying out the salvation gospel of Jesus Christ in a TV ad...great...but the next I'm seeing him loudly and consistently siding with Trump as a personality cult idol and steeping himself deeply in partisan politics. Dude, make up your mind who you're worshiping. Don't get me wrong: each of us...myself included...has the right to express ourselves through the First Amendment. But if one's primary message, be it promoting personal development, religious faith or lumpy pillows, is getting confused from sidetracking into more divisive areas and this causes their money-making capacity or image to diminish as a consequence, that's freedom in action as well...
No comments:
Post a Comment