Back in 2019 our family dog Freckles, a mixed-breed rescue dog we adopted as a puppy, passed away after 14 years with us. It's been a while, but the Saturday before last, PetSmart on Archer Road here in Gainesville was holding a pet adoption fair through one of the non-profits and we went...and little Daisy was the result. She is also a mixed breed rescue dog, two months old and very motivated to bond with us while establishing her supremacy throughout the house. Naturally, the first few weeks are a bit tedious, with us laying down the rules and (trying to) train her to wait to do her "business" outside...crate training seems to be helping with this although she tends to whine and howl sporadically as you would expect. As for me personally, although everyone else in my childhood and adult nuclear families are very keen on pet ownership, I have never felt the inner urge to go out and get some critter to hang out with and give me some kind of psychological lift. Not criticizing those who "have it"...just about everyone in my family is crazy about dogs and cats. I like them, too, but in all the years I was single and on my own I never once had the remotest urge to take in one as a pet. Still, I love other people and through them I bond with the pesky little animals. Daisy is a real sweetie, no doubt about it...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment