On his Mindset Mentor podcast recently, personal development coach Rob Dial discusses the idea of affirmations, that is, talking to oneself in positive terms and expecting this to become a major factor in their successful undertakings. He starts out by bringing up that many of us go through our days saying to ourselves that we "have to" do this and "have to" do that, when the alternative (and better) saying is we "get to"...this allows us to explore ways to learn, grow, and benefit from what we had originally conceived of as a negative obligation. Also, like Yoda in Stars Wars, we don't "try"...we either do or don't, there is no trying. Think of the energy behind your words, he adds, along with the notion that how we fill out the powerful statement "I am ___" can go a long away to determining our direction and destiny. Finally, Rob Dial emphasizes that statements of affirmation, while encouraging and positive, should adhere to reality. The statement needs to be true, be in the present tense ("I am ___ing") and have an empowering aspect to it. So I, a distance runner, wouldn't say "I'm so fast that I won the Olympic marathon in 2000" but rather something like "I am a distance runner, I am running several miles a day, and my progress is making me a runner who can handle the longer distances with more ease and speed". You can apply this to anything...I thought Dial's ideas were pretty good, but of late, with him and James Clear's Atomic Habits book, my head is starting to really get crowded with self-improvement maxims. I probably just need to stick with a few and "run" with them...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment