Monday, April 25, 2022

Discussion of Standards on Podcast

Standards was the topic on today's Mindset Mentor podcast, hosted by Rob Dial...I thought it was one of his better shows.  Instead of listing X-amount of pointers to better living in some specific area, he gave more of an impromptu monologue on how the quality of people's lives depend on the standards they set for themselves...and how they live up to them.  As I see it, on a collective level there are legal standards we need to meet in order not to get in trouble.  At work there are workplace standards, as is the case at school or for any other social institution.  Families collectively have standards, the crossing of which by different members not wanting to follow them probably causes the most inner turmoil.  But Dial was referring here to one's own personal standards for living, and they break down to numerous specific behaviors regularly performed (or not) over the course of time...and all which involve personal choice.  Do I prepare little things for the next day the night before, what time to I get up in the morning, do I always leave the house in a state of tidiness, do I exercise, read, write, engage with others, account for my money, etcetera.  Standards, habit, and goals intertwine, as setting a standard is a goal in itself to be fulfilled by the inculcation of a new habit, using baby steps to accomplish this.  This all fits in nicely with James Clear's notion of "atomic habits", based on his book with the same title.  The key here in improving one's standards and getting to adhere to them is to be as specific as possible while changing habits a little at a time...over time.  Good episode.  By the way, there are probably a number of ways you can pick up Rob Dial's podcast...on my Android I get it through Tune-In Radio while on my television I use Roku to listen to it on the My Tuner channel. Each episode, put out on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, only lasts about twenty minutes and the host has a friendly, conversational and practical presentation style...

No comments:

Post a Comment