Saturday, February 12, 2022

Just Finished Running Gainesville's Depot Parkrun 5K

I had been putting it off for the previous three weeks due to excessively cold weather and my wimpy Florida sensibilities.  But this morning I had no excuses as the temperature was a reasonable 49 with humidity around 95...so I got up early and headed across town to Depot Park for their weekly free Saturday morning 5K (3.1 mile) race.  I've run it five or six times in the past, beginning in early 2019 right after they established it.  Although not so long before (while in my fifties) I had run faster races...dipping down to times in the mid-twenties...my Deport Parkrun personal record is only 30:00.  Back in December I ran a tad slower than 33 minutes, but this morning I was a lot faster, getting my finishing time down to 31:28.  I'm writing this about two hours after finishing the race and feel like my body's making a smooth recovery...that's good since I'm going to work on my day off a little later.  I am always impressed by the beauty of Depot Park, which is just east of Main Street in Gainesville and just south of Depot Road, on the south side of the city's downtown area.  And birds seem to love it here...I heard all sorts of bird songs, including red-winged blackbirds which seem to thrive around the park.  Next weekend will be the Five Points of Life Half-Marathon and I'm still entertaining hopes of running it...we'll see what happens between now and then.  As for the Depot Parkrun results for today, click HERE to see them...

No comments:

Post a Comment