The 2022 edition of the Australian Open, the first of four Grand Slam professional tennis tournaments held throughout the calendar year, begins in earnest today with the opening "Round of 128"...coverage begins this evening at 7 on ESPN-2 (Gainesville Cox Channel 27). I'm not sure whether the matches to be shown are live or tape-delayed since Australia's time is half a day out of sync with ours here in the eastern United States. I got into watching tennis last August and September while recovering at home from surgery...the U.S. Open was exciting, with Daniil Medvedev winning the men's title and Emma Raducanu the women's. I was looking forward to seeing men's number one-ranked Novak Djokovic, who lost to Medvedev in that tourney's finale, defend his 2021 Australian Open championship...but Covid vaccination concerns ultimately led to him not being allowed to stay in Australia for the tournament. I still plan to watch it all, though. A funny thing happened while I was searching the Internet for the channel carrying it: I picked up that in a different country, either Britain or Canada, only Discovery Plus, a premium subscription channel, would be showing it and thought that was applicable to me here in America. We took Discovery Plus up on their 7-day free trial period and while browsing their programming lineup I was delighted to see that they carried old seasons of the Morgan Freeman-hosted science series Through the Wormhole, which I had watched when we had the Science Channel on our cable lineup. But this afternoon I tuned in to watch an episode and found out they had cut the series from their menu. Couple this disappointment with the fact that I discovered my earlier mistake and that ESPN and/or ESPN2 would be showing the tournament instead on "regular" TV, and it's "Goodbye, Discovery Plus"! The Australian Open will be on through January 30th...
Later...Melissa showed me that the Wormhole series (some of the seasons) are actually still on Discovery Plus, but they're buried in the search engine. I watched a couple of the second season (first season unavailable on this channel) last night...
No comments:
Post a Comment