The concern is misplaced, because if you look at the statistics, African American voters are voting in just as high a percentage as Americans. ---Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell
Amid the very partisan struggle over voting rights and election reform, with the latest chapter being the refusal of the U.S. Senate to suspend the filibuster in order to pass the Democrats' bill, Republican Senate leader Mitch McConnell spoke about concerns that blacks were unfairly targeted with voter suppression measures recently taken in several different states. His above quote was meant to address and refute them...I don't know whether his facts are right or not. But it became controversial when his opponents interpreted him to mean that he thought African Americans weren't real Americans...although I dislike McConnell and think he has brought on much of the political turmoil and division we're now experiencing with his obstruction tactics over the years, his intention is clear if you only take a moment to try to understand it. As with a lot of people who are out there speaking off the cuff, they tend to get sloppy at times with their wording...McConnell could have been more precise by replacing "Americans" with "America at-large" or "the average for Americans [or America]". Yet even had he done this I think there would be some trying to pin him down as being racist...
When I went to school we had a highly dysfunctional bus stop, where bullies prevailed and threatened and mocked other kids lower on their perceived pecking order. If somebody not of their liking said something...anything...they would twist their words around to put them down even further, often only referring to their target by an insulting nickname. I believe we're seeing the same mental process at work here with McConnell...folks, get a grip on yourselves, you're much better than this...
No comments:
Post a Comment