Work is much more fun than fun. ---Noel Coward
The late playwright Noel Coward had it right, although he was probably a lot more fanatical about his work than I am about mine. Although I enjoy unwinding and relaxing, what apparently many people think of as fun....social gatherings like parties, concerts and get-togethers...don't do anything for me. If anything, they cause me a lot of anxiety and I would rather be in a structured work setting...even one where the tasks are relatively menial and repetitive. I like my personal projects like running, reading, studying, and writing this blog, all of which can be seen in more of a "work" perspective than "fun". I know folks who are into gardening, cooking, knitting/crocheting, home improvement, musical performance, auto mechanics, charitable service and other pastimes that don't fit into the category of "fun" that you might see on beer commercials where the men and women are soaking in the enjoyment of their social throngs. I like to sit back and watch TV and listen to music, but it's more fun to be working on something, whether it's at my job for pay or rather as an activity I have consciously adopted for myself to pursue. One type of work I could do without, though...but know that I will need to do more and more in the future as I age: medical/dental appointments. And I have one this afternoon, sad to say...
No comments:
Post a Comment