Motivation comes from working on things we care about. ---Sheryl Sandberg
Sheryl Sandberg is a billionaire business executive, a key player in Facebook's dramatic rise within American society...you can take that as a compliment or criticism depending on your views about this pervasive company (to which I'm posting a link for this blog article that is hosted by Google...another pervasive company for which she also worked). Sandberg's above statement at first glance seems so obviously self-evident that you might question why I even bothered to post it. But in our daily lives there are a lot of different things tugging at our attention and most of them concern areas for which we personally hold little interest but still dutifully invest our time and efforts to deal with them. I can always get around disinterest in a project by framing it in the context of another project: I don't like certain classes in school, but the "bigger" goal is getting good grades...or taking on tedious or stressful aspects of my job: a strong work ethic and consistency through all areas, interesting or not, are pillars of success. Still, once I'm away from the classroom and workplace I can see Sandberg's point. On the other hand, my interest in different things tends to fluctuate pretty dramatically over the course of even a single day, much less over longer spans of time. So I guess the lesson I draw from this quote is that I need to find stuff I care about 24/7 in order to be motivated about it 24/7...
No comments:
Post a Comment