Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air. --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ralph Waldo Emerson was a 19th century American philosopher and essayist, a proponent of transcendentalism, which he presented in his essay Nature...I haven't read any of his works, only picking up the above quote on my Music Choice Soundscapes TV channel. Emerson clearly was an advocate of folks getting off their butts and getting outside and active, and I have to admit that he had a point here. When I look back on my life, some of the happiest times were when I was in the great outdoors, be it running long courses or riding my bicycle or experiencing the beach or hiking down a wooded trail or eating outside or climbing a tree or taking a walk in the neighborhood or riding a theme park roller coaster or star-gazing or just sitting out on my porch. That having been said, until just recently the weather here in northern Florida has been nothing short of awful, with heat and mugginess defining the conditions. Once it finally began to cool and dry up a bit, I enjoyed outdoor activities once again. But yesterday, although it was pleasantly cool early on, the humidity was way too high, and today (and tomorrow) rain and storms will prevail. So sure, Ralph, I'll live in the sunshine (when the sun is out), swim the sea (when there aren't sharks, jellyfish or rip currents), and drink the wild air (when there aren't forest fires, hurricanes, tornadoes or sand/dust storms). Come to think of it, on this rainy, slushy morning the idea of just hunkering down here within the secure confines of my house sounds pretty appealing...
No comments:
Post a Comment