Politics has become so toxic nowadays that I'm hesitant to write articles about it, especially since what I express is often bound to sound toxic in itself. On January 6th Donald Trump attempted to overthrow democracy and install himself as unelected dictator through his flunkies...I'm not talking about the loser Capitol building rioters but rather the elected representatives who chose to vote to overturn the election...some two thirds of the Republicans in the House of Representatives and seven in the Senate (including my own representative and one of my senators). In my next-day article I called them all fascists, and explained why, bringing up the term's commonly accepted definition. I don't believe hardly any of those politicians who voted to overturn the 2020 presidential election actually believed that the election was stolen, but they were taking their cues from Trump...the biggest fascist of them all...who seems to have a Jim-Jones-like hold on millions of adoring Americans who apparently have long pined for an authoritarian strongman to affirm their own talking points and smash down the Enemy (i.e. those who disagree with them). HBO host/comedian/egghead Bill Maher recently warned that the 2024 election may well portend the end of democratically-elected representative government if Trump runs and loses a close election again. The former president has already begun to call for a civil war, and several state legislatures have passed new laws giving themselves carte blanche authority to arbitrarily decide elections held in their own states...even the presidential vote...based on any "trumped"-up phony fraud claims. In such an environment I don't know how one cannot feel toxic about our political situation here. The only reason Donald Trump has any political influence is because a large segment of our adult voting population has relinquished their own responsibility to discern the character of their leaders and has decided to accept any foul or deceitful thing coming from their chosen idol's mouth. No, I don't always agree with Maher, but I think he's got it right this time. As someone who often agrees with the conservative take on issues, I am dismayed by today's extremely toxic Trump phenomenon that precludes me from supporting any Republican candidate...
Also referring back to political toxicity, I am dismayed to see moderate elected Democrats who represent more conservative constituencies being raked over the coals for the crime of having a backbone when legislation is foisted upon them to support that they feel is excessive, either in terms of spending or government overreach. The "progressive" Democrats who attack these public servants to me are incredibly short-sighted as well as ignorant: short-sighted because without the moderates in the Senate and the House, their own party would be in the minority and powerless to introduce legislation or confirm (or reject) federal judges and Supreme Court justices...and ignorant because historically the only stable legislation that doesn't tend to be undone when the other party comes to power is that passed with at least some semblance of bipartisan support as the result of negotiation and compromise...
No comments:
Post a Comment