When I was growing up, we had our family games...one of them was a card game we called "Battle"...later on I found out that, to the world in general, it was "War". Not a game of skill, each side is dealt out of the 52-card deck until it's spent...then they each put out a card from top of their own pile and the largest value wins all cards (Ace is high card), to be placed face up on their discard pile. The game is played until one side runs out of cards. If the two cards placed are the same, then a "war" (or battle in our version) ensues, with each player laying three of their cards face down and placing the next one face up...the highest value wins all the cards in play. War can go on and on and on...in one game as a kid I recorded 93 battles. Melissa and I were playing it a few days ago and it looked headed the same way...finally we agreed to play 15 more minutes and whoever had the most cards at that point won (it was Melissa, naturally). I've read that some dude said that War wasn't really a game since it involved no decision-making on the part of the player. But all the games I watch on TV, no matter which sport, ARE games as well with me playing no volitional role (other than to switch the channel)...I'm just playing the vicarious role of the spectator. Still, I think the next time I pull out the card deck we'll be playing Rummy instead (which Melissa also usually wins)...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment