Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Game of the Week: Bowling

I am hardly an avid bowler...probably has something to do with the fact that I'm not very good at it.  The first time I went to a bowling alley was back in 1968, with my seventh-grade physical education class.  Although I received little instruction on how to play the game, I did learn the arcane method of scoring in bowling.  My first game had me bowl a 33...I believe before those school outings ended I got my score up into the upper 70s.  As an adult I've bowled on a number of occasions around Gainesville and Leesburg, the latter with its shorted-out neon sign "LEESBURG OWL" being the site of my personal high game: 177, back around thirty years ago.  Since 2017 when I suffered some nerve damage interfering with the bending of my right thumb, I haven't tried the sport...who knows, maybe my impediment wouldn't affect my game.  Easily the most annoying thing about bowling is the requirement to rent out old shoes that others have worn...and worn...and worn.  This must be the only situation in life where you actually shell out money in order to put on strange, smelly used shoes.  Regarding the actual aiming and release of the ball, I know that the better bowlers put a good spin on it and make it follow a curved path, hitting the head pin at an angle and causing a cascade of falling pins that often leads to strikes...but I've only been slightly successful with my own efforts.  Instead, although I do spin the bowl a little my focus is aiming it at the pins...with predictably mixed results.  Oh well, although I have seen others bowl by themselves, for me it's a social activity that I have shared with classmates, friends, and family... and that has made it worthwhile, crappy shoes and all...

No comments:

Post a Comment