As I sit here watching the University of Florida football team behind Alabama late in their game...although performing much better than I had expected...I wondered how some competing Gainesville attorneys have been spending their time for the last three hours. One firm's ad has its senior lawyer sitting with his son, the junior partner, in an empty Ben Hill Griffin Stadium (UF's home field) looking up to the sky like visionaries to show how devoted they are to their Gator idols. Then there's the commercial featuring another local lawyer who indirectly puts down the first firm and claims that HE was the true Gator...not only was he a Florida grad but also played on their football team, by golly! And the other evening I saw yet a third firm claiming that THEY bleed Orange and Blue. Presumably, potential clients of these attorneys will see how attached these dudes are to the University and as a result will rush to employ their services. As for me, they might as well have come out with their favorite color or rock band, for all the meaning that conveys. If I need to seek legal counsel, I'm going to want to know facts about their competence, integrity, and track record of attaining successful judgments...not irrelevant tripe like this. And what if I have a beef with the University of Florida...the last person I would want to represent me in court is someone who has professional and/or deeply emotional ties to that school. So you're a football jock from your youth and want to use that to hawk your trade...that approach makes ME more likely to reject you, not run to you. I feel the same about other ex-jocks, Gators or not, who trade on their athletic pasts to promote their respective business ventures or endorsements. As for the Gainesville attorneys, I wonder whether any more will join the contest for Biggest Gator Fan...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment