Ever since I was a kid in the 1960s when Art Fleming hosted the popular quiz show Jeopardy!, I have enjoyed pitting my own prowess at getting the right "questions" to the different posed "answers" in diverse categories of knowledge against the three on-screen players. I thought that Fleming did his job well guiding each episode and interacting with the contestants, but the idea of slavishly following him as some kind of superstar idol never occurred to me. Not did it ever when Alex Trebek helped to resurrect the series' mass popularity from the 1980s until his tragic death from cancer last November. In my book, it doesn't take much to host this show. You need to possess some degree of literacy, as well as quickly learning how to pronounce some of the more challenging material presented in the answers, but I always assumed that both Fleming and Trebek would go over them with the writers before each taping anyway. You need to display tactful humor and goodwill toward each contestant, as well as a healthy respect for the wide world of learning. Jeopardy! hosts should not be shock jocks who titillate the viewing audience with sexual innuendo and vulgar attempts at humor as does the host of Family Feud (among sadly too many other game shows) but rather communicate a sense of decorum and attentive enthusiasm for the episode at hand. You want to host Jeopardy!, do you? I really don't care what your political views are or whether you foolishly said offensive things on a podcast years earlier or posted a controversial tweet in a moment of foolishness. I think the producers of Jeopardy!, following Trebek's sad departure, made a really dumb mistake by having a procession of guest hosts each week and making the new permanent replacement a farce with popularity surveys on the Internet listing who's hot and who's not. As for me, with every episode I've seen of late...and that spans quite a number of different guest hosts...there hasn't been a single one in which the host didn't do a commendable job of carrying the show properly in the areas I've mentioned above. I think it's kind of humiliating to lead on the different candidates like this, something I doubt that neither Art Fleming nor Alex Trebek would have stood for themselves. And once a particular candidate seems to be favored, then there is a mad rush to delve back in their pasts to uncover dirty laundry about them...disgusting, as if anybody is so perfect as to judge others like this. Just draw the name of the "winning" permanent host at random out of a hat from those candidates who've hosted it already and be done with it all, for crying out loud...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment