Jon Acuff is a motivational writer and speaker. I've recently read two of his books, Finish (2017) and Start (2013), each one reflecting in its title advice about approaching projects and personal goals. In his 2015 book Do Over (long title Do Over: Make Today the First Day of Your New Career), he tackles the subject of career change and the essential elements of success as he sees them. Acuff structures his presentation around something he calls the Career Savings Account, broken into four areas: Relationships (who you know), Skills (what you do), Character (who you are), and Hustle (how you work). He goes on with each of these, breaking them down further and tying them all together as they apply to the four different circumstances of career or life change: Voluntary/Positive, Voluntary/Negative, Involuntary/Positive, and Involuntary/Negative. Along the way in his narrative he adds concepts like Attitude, Expectations, Grit, Chaos, and Flexibility. He also is a big advocate of folks writing down their introspective insights, especially in regard to their fears and other negative feelings. I thought Jon Acuff did a much better job at organizing and presenting his message in a way that the reader can more easily reference in the future after reading the book...to this extent Do Over is more like his more recent Finish and I recommend them both over his earlier Start. Personally, I am not contemplating a career change in the strict sense to which the author was referring, but I do plan to retire in a couple of years or so and realize that this will involve a great deal of change...and much of what Acuff was saying in this book was meaningful to me...
Saturday, July 3, 2021
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment