Mary Higgins Clark, the prolific and highly successful author of thriller novels, just passed away last year at age 92. I had read three of her works, and just finished reading her breakthrough book Where are the Children? from 1975 that launched her writing career. Loosely based on a news story she had followed about a woman accused of the deaths of her two missing young children, Clark expanded and fictionalized it by having her protagonist from California go through trial and conviction of murder, only to be released after that conviction is reversed on a technicality and her first husband gone after leaving a suicide note that expressed deep remorse over her crime. Now it's seven years later and she had disappeared into the society, remarrying and with two new young children on the seashore at Cape Cod, Massachusetts. But the anonymous peace she has gained over time is about to be harshly interrupted when a newspaper is delivered throughout town with a photo showing her as the original Nancy Harmon after conviction...and then her present children, Mike and Missy, go missing, making her once again the prime suspect. I'm not giving anything away by stating that she is not guilty...the true culprit in all this has his own chapters, and early on as the reader I thought I knew his identity...but great mystery writers like this one are masters at throwing in "red herring" clues. Eventually all is resolved, but to what end? Guess you'll have to read it to find out: I did enjoy it, though. These novels of Clark are written in plain language and short enough not to be a major reading commitment...they're thus perfectly suited to be inserted between some of my more serious reading ventures...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment