Monday, May 31, 2021

My May 2021 Running and Walking Report

For May I ran a total of 107 miles with 5.2 miles being my longest single run...I missed but one day running for the month.  At the same time I amassed 124 walking miles, much of it from my normal workplace activity and several long walks on Daytona Beach with Melissa on our vacation stay there late in May. Already a Florida Track Club member, I had signed up to participate in the track meet they held on Friday evening, May 7th, at Fred Cone Park in eastern Gainesville.  But upon further examining their schedule of events within the meet, I felt they were bunched too closely together and didn't allow for a slower, 64-year-old runner as myself: the 5,000 meter race on their website was purportedly for runners at their own pace but they only allowed 30 minutes before the next one was to start.  From this I got the impression, possibly erroneously, that the FTC was focusing on this event more as one for the more elite runners...so I skipped it.  However, later in the month I found out that the free weekly 5K Saturday morning runs at Gainesville's Depot Park were resuming...I completed the race on 5/29 with an average (for me, lately) time of 30:50.  If you want to participate in this "Depot Parkrun", as they call it, get on that website, preregister, and print off the barcodes they provide.  Then bring one with you to the next race and your time will be recorded and posted online: pretty good deal!  For June, I see myself continuing my running in moderation and trying out another Parkrun, trying to get my finishing time below 30 minutes.  As for walking, it seems that just going about my usual daily business automatically produces the miles...

No comments:

Post a Comment