Thursday, May 27, 2021

Just Finished Reading Traveling with Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor

In 2009 mother-and-daughter writers Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor collaborated on the book Traveling with Pomegranates, in which each of them recount through alternating chapters their travels together from preceding years through Greece, Turkey and France.  I just finished reading it and can understand the wide range of reactions I subsequently discovered about it on the Goodreads review site.  Especially with the mother, they have this privileged air about them that it's nothing to just take off on trips to exotic places and have the locals there expected to cater to their every whim while they are totally focused on themselves, taking every statue, exhibit, painting, or happenstance occurrence and interpreting them in the most detailed ways about their personal selves...yes, this got tedious for me in a hurry.  Before I began reading it I thought it would be something of a travelogue of these two women's experiences, and to an extent it was, making me want to see and experience some of the things that they did.  Although I feel the two went way overboard about personalizing everything and everyone they encountered, as a reader I also understood that each of us has our own personal voyages, and to us these voyages are of the utmost significance and interest: it's just that I think that others probably aren't going to remotely share my own interpretations with the same enthusiasm that they mean to me.  You know what I'm saying: just think of someone in your own life whose entire conversational style with you is focused on talking about themselves, and you're just an unimportant bystander whose role seems to be to receive everything spoken with vigorous head-nodding and affirmatory verbal utterances.  On the other hand, Kidd and Taylor's book is clearly autobiographical in its theme, and let's face it: folks who write autobiographies are talking about themselves, which is why they're called autobiographies: the root "auto" means "self".  This very blog of mine has strong autobiographical elements to it as well...I share experiences that I feel have a possible universal application to others, and I imagine that what this book's authors are doing is very similar.  Each of them discusses a change not only in their life phases...Sue entering her elderly years while unsure about writing her first novel while Ann is a young adult unsure as well of her own future and depressed about recent rejection...but also their changing relationship to one another.  Both of them use their travel experiences with Greek mythological characters like Athena, Demeter, Persephone along with the widely different representations of Mary, Jesus' mother in Greece, Turkey and France to symbolize their own identities and life direction.  One thing that struck me was that, especially with Sue, they felt the need to travel to some exotic locale in order to experience an epiphany moment, but I remember the Robert Pirsig quote, "The only Zen you'll find at the mountaintop is the Zen you took with you." To that effect I have discovered that while traveling in itself is fun and meaningful, the greatest positive changes I've made in my life, along with the most profound introspective moments that revealed who I was, came about during my ordinary day-to-day living and routines.  But to each his own, and I enjoyed Traveling with Pomegranates.  And you have to grant this concession to the authors as well: when someone is baring their soul to you in an honest manner, they will also be revealing aspects of their personality and character you might find just a wee bit disagreeable...that shouldn't detract from the reading experience, but rather challenge the reader with their own introspection... 

No comments:

Post a Comment