For May I picked Corvus (the Crow) as my constellation of the month, not because it has any bright stars or special deep-space objects of interest (it doesn't), but rather because it has over the years been a dependable sky marker for me during the spring evening hours. I'm not sure how you get a "crow" out of the above configuration, but the irregular quadrilateral shape of its four brightest stars is unmistakable. Corvus is located just south of the celestial equator and is between the Zodiac constellation Virgo to the north) and the very lengthy constellation Hydra (to the south). If you take the top two stars in Corvus, line them up and point to the east (leftward), they point Virgo's bright first-magnitude star Spica. Corvus is one of those constellations that don't exactly follow the loose protocol of following the Greek alphabet in order of their stars' brightness..."Alpha" isn't even a part of the quadrilateral. Corvus and I go way back...it's one of the first constellations I remember identifying in the spring evening sky eons ago in 1964 when I was seven years old, so I have a rather soft spot in my heart for it...if one can do so with a sector of the night sky. Next month I'll feature my second "constellation of the month" for June...in 2020 I picked Boötes for this honor: I have a couple of candidates this time around...
Thursday, May 6, 2021
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment