Friday, March 26, 2021

Quote of the Week...from Toni Sorenson

When you run, the road belongs to you.                                    ---Toni Sorenson.

Toni Sorenson is an author of novels with faith-based themes...she apparently is also an avid runner to have come out with the above quote, which I agree with.  When I'm out on the road running...and I'm talking about residential streets or walking pathways, not major highways...I feel that it's my road, which I'm willing to share with others (as long as they don't get in my way).  While generally socially compliant by demeanor, I tend to get into a much more assertive frame of mind when I'm out there pounding the pavement, with a sense of proprietorship and belonging as I have made this setting part of my world and embrace it.  I have vivid recall of different running courses I have trained on, past and present...there is, though, one funny exception to Toni Sorenson's quote for me.  Back in April 2010 while visiting Manhattan with my wife and daughter, I got up in the morning at our Times Square hotel and went out onto Broadway for a jog...not such a cool idea.  The streets were, of course, crowded with people, many of them in business attire, and here I was in a tee-shirt and sweat pants skirting in and out among them.  Because I didn't want to have to wait at intersections, I made the ill-advised decision to turn the corner at each red light...eventually finding myself hopelessly lost among the skyscrapers.  Somehow I stumbled back onto Broadway after meandering around for blocks east of my area.  So no, the road doesn't always belong to you when you run...I did the remainder of my running that vacation high up in the hotel's exercise room...

No comments:

Post a Comment