I'll be happy if running and I can grow old together. ---Haruki Murakami
From an Internet search about running quotes, I got a good article by Norbert Juma listing a few...click here to read it. One of the listed quotes, many of which were great (and which I might use in the future), is the above one from award-winning Japanese writer Haruki Murakami...guess I'll have to check out a book or two of his now. I get his drift: it would be great to continue being able to go out on runs as I age and even participate in races when they come up in my area. Back in January 2011 I ran...and eventually walked the last seven miles due to an IT band injury in my leg...the only marathon I ever officially entered in a race. Because I was hobbled in the last half of this race, I encountered many slower runners passing me...many of them in advanced years. The experience, while humbling, made a deep impact on me: I want to be like them and be able to keep on running as long as I live...which hopefully will be for a considerable time in the future. So I'm not as keen on running fast as I am on covering long distances and maintaining this activity for years to come. I don't control everything that will happen to me...nobody does...but to the extent that I can I will continue this great activity. I'd love to be running half-marathons, 15K and 10K races as long as they're still holding them...
No comments:
Post a Comment