Sunday, March 7, 2021

Great Old TV Episodes...from Sesame Street


ABOVE IT ALL
and GROUCH GROCERY STORE  were my two most favorite segments from the long-running children's series Sesame Street.  These weren't technically "episodes" in the classic sense but were features within the show's often chaotic-seeming sequence as it would progress each day.  Above it All is a short cartoon animated by Sally Cruikshank and first appearing on the show in 1988 (episode 2559).  A bespectacled female lizard/alligator spins the little propeller on her hat and joyfully flies over the land and sea, musically pointing out all the creatures and things below her...until she looks up and discovers she's "below" as well, this time to a friendly bird!   Grouch Grocery Store was in episode 2937 (1992)...Gordon and his son Miles go down into the garbage can with Oscar to see how a Grouch grocery store is run...to side-splitting results.  "This" Gordon, a character played over the years by different actors, puts in a great comedic performance with his exasperation over the Grouch store clerk's antics, including demanding their party take a number...which turns out to be the same one he's handed out to everyone else in the store!  I first saw Above It All in a re-airing in the early 1990s, coinciding in general time with Grouch Grocery Store and my son Will's toddler years.  I never watched Sesame Street until I had kids (I was a teen when it first aired)...I guess that's the way it for folks in general, sharing childlike things with our own children...

No comments:

Post a Comment