Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Game of the Week...Hidato



Hidato is a numerical logic puzzle invented by an Israeli engineer several years ago.  I first encountered it while browsing my excellent (but sadly now closed) local Borders bookstore a few years ago in the puzzle book section...I walked out buying a couple of Hidato books.  For a stretch of time it was also featured on my Hewlett Packard printer's daily puzzle page: of late, though, I haven't done Hidato.  Its premise is simple enough: starting with the numbers already given on the puzzle's grid, connect them together in a sequenced counting string, going left, right, up, down, or diagonally.  Above is pictured an excerpt from an old newspaper puzzle section some 10-11 years ago containing a Hidato puzzle in the corner. Like all puzzles of this sort, it's more fun for me to avoid the "hints" section and figure out shortcuts and strategies for myself.  Of course, nothing is preventing me from going online and ordering for myself another Hidato book, but since I do have online newspaper archives at my disposal I thought I'd go down that avenue first...

No comments:

Post a Comment