Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Game of the Week: Jeopardy!

 


Jeopardy!, my all-time favorite television game show, is still on the air despite the recent tragic passing of its long-time host Alex Trebek from pancreatic cancer.  It's not the host, though...although I liked Trebek...that attracts me to Jeopardy!.  After all, for several years of my childhood from the mid-sixties into the early seventies, I used to enjoy watching it when Art Fleming hosted it.  It's essentially a trivia game between three contestants who have already been prescreened to demonstrate that they're not complete dunces.  Each round...there are two in each game...consists of six categories of topics, each with five answers of increasing monetary value.  The questions read as "answers" to which a contestant must formulate the appropriate question.  For example, an "answer" might be shown as "The most prevalent element in Earth's atmosphere" to which the correct question would be "What is nitrogen?". After the main part of the show is over there is a final Jeopardy answer for which the contestants wager in advance however much they want to from the money they've accumulated so far...the total money winner at the end gets to continue playing in the next episode.  It's fun for me to see how much I know and how I match up with the contestants...there are definitely some categories for which I am pretty ignorant!  For the past few weeks on the show's current run they have been featuring guest hosts, but I usually only have the opportunity to view it Saturday evenings, and at that time they're almost always showing reruns from when Trebek was hosting it.  May Jeopardy! endure for many more years and maintain its present dignified format and tone.  I've written about this show a couple of times in the past on this blog: click on the title to read the article: Jeopardy Wagering Strategies (8/3/14) and Quote of the Week...from Alex Trebek (11/13/20)....

No comments:

Post a Comment