The Melody Lingers On is a 2015 Mary Higgins Clark mystery/crime novel, which I just finished reading. It had been a while since I'd read one of her books, so I went back in my own blog search to see whether I'd already read and reviewed it...no, I hadn't, so I delved into it. The story centers around a story similar to the Bernie Madoff investment fraud episode...here it's Parker Bennett, a New York investment company head, who ripped off many people of their retirements and then skipped the country under a false identity after faking his death. The FBI among other law enforcement agencies suspect Bennett's wife Ann and son Eric of being complicit in the fraud scheme...this hits home to main protagonist Lane Harmon, an interior decorator who finds herself falling for Eric after meeting him while decorating her mother's home in New Jersey. Eric seems innocent, though, but he has a secret past with shady connotations: maybe he's not such a nice guy after all. And Lane's father-in-law has a special antagonism toward him: what's that all about? Parker realizes he needs to return to New York to get access to the rest of his funds, and it's here, among the novel's principals...including a socialite former lover who has been blackmailing him...that brings the story to its climax, along with that subplot concerning Lane and Eric. I enjoyed the story, and Clark always writes in a very lucid style that is easy and compelling to read. May Higgins Clark has written so many novels that I could devote months to simply reading them alone, but instead I think I'll just try to go through one every couple of months or so...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment