Sunday, February 7, 2021

Great Old TV Episodes...from Star Trek: the Next Generation

TIN MAN was a Season 3 episode of Star Trek: the Next Generation, originally airing in April, 1990...I didn't see it until years later.  Captain Picard and his ship the Enterprise are diverted to a special rendezvous with another Federation ship, taking on a special passenger and a new assignment.  The passenger is Betazoid telepath Tam Elbron (excellently portrayed by Harry Groener) and the mission is to investigate and make first contact with an ancient, living spaceship orbiting in a star system about to supernova as Romulan warships race them to it.  Elbron, unlike most Betazoids who are known for being psychic, was born with his strong telepathic ability and as a child was constantly inundated, bewildered and overcome by the flood of thoughts coming into his mind from those around him...the result as an adult has him moody, cynical and remote toward others.  I thought both the concept and resolution of this episode were brilliant, and Elbron's character made a personal impact on me.  No, I am not psychic, but I am very sensitive...unwillingly so...to people around me and tend, like the Betazoid, to often want to get away from it all.  I am especially sensitive to aggressiveness on the part of others, not just that which is directed at me.  I am sick and tired of other people's agendas and attitudes imposing themselves on me as I try to manage my daily activities...enough already, like Tam Elbron I'd like a little space, please.  So yeah, this episode resonated with me...if you're a Netflix subscriber why not view it for yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment