Gemini, the zodiac constellation that crosses the meridian during February around 9 pm, also extends further north than any of the other eleven in that group through which pass our sun, the moon, and the planets from our vantage point on Earth. Its celestial latitude (declination) is such that at my Earth latitude of 30 degrees north it passes directly overhead. Gemini was one of the first ever constellations I viewed, back in the early spring of 1964 when I was seven years old. It's also the birth sign of my dear, late mother...although I never did go for that astrological stuff. If you look at the above map I drew, imagine the left stars representing the Greek mythical twin Pollux and the right his brother Castor, their respective heads represented by the stars bearing their names. Both are relatively near us, Castor a six-star system, nearly at first magnitude brilliance at 52 light-years while Pollux, an orange giant only 34 light-years away is a first magnitude star. The constellation is the epicenter for the annual December Geminids meteor shower, and the M35 star cluster on Gemini's west side and the strange looking Eskimo Nebula on its east are standout objects to pursue with the telescope. Gemini is directly to the northeast from last month's featured constellation of Orion...wonder what I'll pick for March as my constellation of the month: I'm going to have to choose among some smaller and fainter ones...
Thursday, February 18, 2021
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment