An old Nova High alumnus living out on the west coast posted something on Facebook last month about Festivus, an alternative Christmas holiday season celebration held on December 23rd, created by writer Daniel O'Keefe and spotlighted on the Seinfeld episode The Strike. It's secular in nature, although one aspect is to point out "miracles" that are clearly not miracles...much of Festivus is tongue-in-cheek fun, not meant to put down the spiritual side of Christmas but rather its runaway materialism and consumerism of today's world. One of the rituals in Festivus is the dinner during which each person at the table airs their grievances...at the others or anything else, I suppose, that comes to mind. Although I think it is generally ill-advised to put down another to their face...and even worse to do so in a public setting...I kind of like this concept: just do it some other time besides Christmas, please. So in latching on to this "airing of grievances" about Festivus, I've transferred it all to the month of January...and I've been careful to avoid singling out people by name (unless they're public figures like celebrities or politicians). But yeah, in case you haven't noticed I've been griping of late on this blog about various things in the news and in society in general...and I'm not finished: this just might spill over into the next month. No, I haven't gone completely cynical, but with all this crap going on in the world around me can you blame me if I indulge in it for a little while?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment