Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Rereading George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series at High Speed

Anticipating, perhaps unrealistically, that George R.R. Martin's long-awaited next volume in his A Song of Ice and Fire fantasy series, titled The Winds of Winter, will come out some time next year as he has expressed, I decided to reread the series' first five rather lengthy books.  In doing this I'm checking each of them out from my library on audiobook and listening to them at high speed...sometimes as fast as 2.7 times normal speed.  I can do this because I already read through the same material before...what I'm essentially doing is bringing what I already knew back up to date in my memory.  I've already gone through A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, and A Storm of Swords, and have just begun the fourth book, A Feast for Crows.  Had this series come out, say...40 years ago, I would have been unable to play the audiobooks on high speed since they all would have been in analog form and speeding them up would have made them sound too high-pitched.  I never did watch the Game of Thrones television series on HBO, which went far beyond Martin's progress in writing his books and concluded everything...apparently much to the chagrin of both viewers who disliked the outcome and those, like myself, who were holding out for the books.  I don't know whether the author will conform to the TV series version or digress from it but I do enjoy his narrative and characters a lot...maybe I will read that 2018 prequel novel of his titled Fire & Blood if his Winds of Winter publication is further postponed...it's already nine years since the publication of Book #5, titled A Dance with Dragons, and Martin needs to finally get on with it.  Maybe when I've finished rereading these first five books I'll get down to sharing my reactions...with a notice at the top of that article warning about some serious plot spoilers contained therein...

No comments:

Post a Comment