Friday, September 25, 2020

Quote of the Week...from Kurt Vonnegut

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order so they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.           ---Kurt Vonnegut

Kurt Vonnegut (1922-2007) was a celebrated twentieth century American writer probably best known for his historical/science fiction novel Slaughterhouse Five from 1969.  I've read it and seen the movie...and also read his Breakfast of Champions (1973).  Currently I'm working on his 1963 book Cat's Cradle as well as his 1968 short story collection Welcome to the Monkey House.  Vonnegut had a way of mixing social commentary, satire, autobiography and science fiction together in a very readable writing style while managing to impart learning in whatever area he researched for his stories.  He also had something of a cynical take on human nature, as exhibited in the above quote from Cat's Cradle...

If you know me at all, you'll agree that I'm not very keen on talking...the less the better.  And as far as my view of others is concerned, I'm also not very keen on being talked to...with the notable worthy exceptions of my family and chosen friends.  Now I don't seem to have any problem with listening to people talk on TV or radio, and I am a big user and advocate for audio books...but when somebody walks up to me out there in the world and just starts yacking their head off at me, usually about a subject that clearly doesn't concern me in the least, I'm inclined to begin acting rudely toward them as I try to disengage myself from the unwelcome one-way conversation. I'm sure modern day marketers would object to my attitude and instead would take advantage of the opportunity to sell a house, vitamins, a politician, religion or whatever their agenda is...but that's not me.  These days I also see folks around me seemingly talking to themselves...but no, they've got some poor soul on the other end of their Bluetooth connection and seem to be in a perpetual state of conversation: what the heck is that all about?  One thing I've discovered during this era of people bubbling themselves off into feedback loop circles whereby the insiders are constantly reinforcing each others' skewed narratives about various topics...coronavirus denial comes to the fore in my mind as an example: it's natural for humans in general to follow the lead of others in their immediate social environment, even when their own individual observations and conclusions dictate a different course of action.  To "fit in" seems to require engaging in this constant chatter that I disdain so much.  How much of this qualifies as "really meaningful to say"?  Not a whole lot...if anything, Vonnegut's observation from 57 years ago is truer today than it's ever been...

No comments:

Post a Comment