Sunday, August 9, 2020
Voted Today (Mail-In) in Florida's Primary Election
In Florida the 2020 primary election (not the presidential primary, which we had back in March) will be held August 18th with early voting going on now. Melissa and I applied for mail-in ballots, which we just filled out and will put in the mail tomorrow. Florida holds its governor and state cabinet elections in off-years, and neither U.S. Senate seat is up for election in 2020. The only race on my ballot with national ramifications, Florida's 3rd Congressional District with incumbent Ted Yoho retiring after four terms, is up for grabs...at least for Republicans, that is, since although Gainesville is primarily Democratic the surrounding population for this district is overwhelmingly Republican. So whoever wins the Republican primary race this month is almost certain to win in November: as our president recently said on a different topic, "It is what it is". There was one race for state representative I got to vote on, and the rest were local in scope: two county commission seats, two school board seats, property appraiser, party leadership committee posts, and sheriff. The sheriff's race bothered me since essentially only registered Democrats will decide who our next sheriff will be after Republican and Independent voters were shut out by a loophole in the election law because somebody with virtually no chance of victory earlier filed as a write-in candidate...that just doesn't seem right to me. I still haven't decided whether to try and vote in person for the general election or not, but I'm keeping my mail-in balloting options open. If you're in Florida and are registered to vote, this particular primary election may or may not be important for you...but I'm pretty sure that the general election in November will be...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment