For the couch potato TV sports junkie that I am, even though the coronavirus pandemic is showing no signs of letting up around me I am at least mollified by the now overwhelming preponderance of major professional sports on television. Live basketball, baseball, hockey and soccer games are now readily available and the lack of live spectators present doesn't seem to affect the athletes' performances or my enjoyment of them...sometimes I get a kick out of the various ways they present "spectators", be it though life-sized photo props in the stands, piped-in fake crowd noise or screens showing fans watching through their computers. Hopefully, the COVID-19 outbreaks occurring in baseball, the only one of the currently ongoing sports not using the "bubble" strategy, will clear up: the Marlins seem to be okay now, with their games resuming this week. In all the sports I tend to naturally root for the Florida teams, and am gratified (and very surprised) to see Orlando City...a franchise that had never before made it to the playoffs...as one of the semifinalists in Major League Soccer. As for the non-Florida teams I prefer, in the NBA it's the Los Angeles Clippers, San Antonio Spurs. Portland Trail Blazers and Toronto Raptors: my favorite coaches are Doc Rivers with the Clippers and the Spurs' Gregg Popovich...player-wise I like Jimmy Butler (Miami), Kyle Lowry (Toronto), and C.J. McCollum (Portland). With Major League Baseball it's the Yankees, Angels, Nationals and Giants for me...after the Rays and Marlins, of course. As for hockey, I'm still at the stage of just trying to keep up with what's going on during a game...
Yes, having some sports to watch has been a distinct pleasure for me recently...for the most part they've been pretty careful about the pandemic. I just hope football doesn't come along and flub everything up...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment