Sunday, July 12, 2020
Visited Local Gym for a Hot Summer Day Treadmill Distance Run
It's been several months since I've visited my local gym, which happens to be Gainesville Health and Fitness. I was planning to try out a long training run this weekend around the neighborhood but the temperature was too high...and since GHF has been opened back up I decided to give it a try as it got up to 94 degrees with a three-digit heat index. I got there at one this afternoon and was a little taken aback about how busy it was, although upon reflection the parking lot was a lot emptier and there were fewer people there. Their website discouraged members from using the locker rooms in the interest of safety from the coronavirus...I had already figured that out and don't plan to use them until the pandemic has subsided. Wearing a mask upon entry and exit as asked (and all the employees wear masks), I scanned my membership card on a machine they had installed on the counter, to reduce any proximity to workers holding scanners. Once in, I went upstairs to the row of treadmills I was accustomed to using, surprised that none had been roped off...they stated that members needed to work out six feet apart and I suppose they just expected us to abide by it: fortunately, everyone there seemed considerate of each other. On the cardio equipment like the treadmill, users removed their masks but I noticed that those training with weights tended to keep them on. My treadmill worked great and I was able to slog out eight slow miles on it while listening to a shuffle of some of my favorite songs on my MP3 player. Afterwards I just walked out and back to my car and drove home...a successful venture. But I still didn't like that many people there and know there are better times to visit when it's emptier. The staff there was very friendly and professional as usual, and naturally were taking extra steps to keep the equipment clean and disinfected. I don't know what it's going to look like there, however, when the University of Florida students pour back into town in a few weeks...heck, I don't know what it's going to look like anywhere, for that matter...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment