The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom. ---Isaac Asimov
I'm not sure when Isaac Asimov penned the above quote, but I do know that he died in 1992...28 years ago. And yet today, with science denial running rampant in our society on a number of fronts, it couldn't ring truer. We have so much information now at our nearly instant disposal, and it's portable: you can carry and access it on your smartphone anywhere you go...yet I don't think that people are any more knowledgeable about the issues that affect them and our country this election season than they were when there was no such thing as the Internet. With this very recent innovation connecting the world over, are people kinder and more gracious and empathetic toward one another than before? Doesn't seem so to me, looks like many of us are stubbornly digging ourselves deeply in our preconceived mindsets and closing up to anything that might challenge them...no, our "wisdom" is definitely not keeping up with the science. I wonder what Asimov, were he alive today (he'd be 100), would think about the nonsense going on around us and the way people rationalize their own behavior in the face of facts to the contrary. I'm guessing that he wouldn't be surprised, not one little bit...
Friday, July 24, 2020
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment