Marcus Zusak's 2005 novel The Book Thief is one title I found myself repeatedly coming across as I recently surveyed the Internet for recommended fictional books...so I naturally checked it out from my library and read it. It's set during the Hitler era during the late 1930s and early 1940s as Liesel
Meminger is a little girl who grows up in the midst of all the turmoil, persecution and tragedy under that heinous regime. Death himself narrates the story and does a pretty good job...here he doesn't cause death but always promptly arrives to gently gather up the souls of the newly deceased, reminding me somewhat of how J.K. Rowling portrayed him in the book Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, which came out in '07. Liesel's father, a communist, has disappeared, presumably snatched and killed by the Nazis, while her mother plans to take her to friends to foster-care her and her little brother as she expects to soon be arrested as well...but little brother dies on the train and little Liesel is left alone, presented to Hans and Rosa Hubermann in a modest home in a Munich suburb. Her new "parents" are loving, each in their own way, and Liesel gradually adapts to life in her new home. Starting with that ill-fated train ride, she has begun to snatch books...usually at random...from various sources even though at the start she is unable to read. But Hans, and later others, will teach her and she becomes quite a reader. I'm a little hesitant about going any further in describing the plot and characters because I'd like you to read The Book Thief for yourself and provide some feedback on it. It's a very sobering look at how Jews were persecuted and killed under Hitler's brief (but still much too long) reign, as well as how the German people in different ways responded to the pressures and sacrifices placed upon them. I became quite attached to the various characters...Zusak was excellent in developing them, making the book seem very real. I'm not surprised by this novel's popularity...oh, it was made into a movie in 2013, although I'm not sure I want to see it: sometimes the visual images from the big screen displace what my own imagination conjured up while reading a story, and that's a loss...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment