Sunday, July 26, 2020
2020 Drags On With All Its Problems, As a Patriot Passes On
Late this morning I watched on TV as the horse-drawn caisson carrying John Lewis' flag-wrapped casket crossed the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama for his last crossing at the place where in March, 1965, he suffered a fractured skull at the hands of state troopers attacking the peaceful demonstration march for civil rights as they were making their way to Montgomery, the state capital. Only this past March, Lewis, a longtime U.S. representative for Atlanta, had walked over the bridge with several congressional colleagues...he seemed strong and fit although he knew then he was suffering from pancreatic cancer. That was less than five months ago...wow, it seems like this year time has come to almost a grinding halt. I remember "long, long ago" on February 16 stepping off our Caribbean cruise ship with Melissa at Port Everglades, with the coronavirus a concern for the U.S. west coast...who would have guessed how it would explode in scope, first in Europe and then New York and the rest of the country, during the ensuing weeks. And the murder of George Floyd while in police custody in Minneapolis, preceded a few days by the killing of Ahmaud Armery in Brunswick while out jogging, and followed by weeks of nationwide protests that have yet to subside, seems to have happened so very long ago. I liked John Lewis and am saddened at his passing...he was a brave, principled man and a patriot in the highest sense of the word. But those protest marches he undertook with others like Martin Luther King, Jr. during those bygone years were deliberately and steadfastly peaceful...the violence which happened was perpetrated on them, not by them. Sadly, I'm now seeing what generally started out as a peaceful, legitimate protest movement against police abuse degenerating into street violence, vandalism of public and private property, and an Orwellian type of attitude pushed about political correctness...not a good direction to go. Unfortunately, I also see no light at the end of the tunnel for any of this...I guess I should at least be happy that live pro sports is finally coming back (at least for the time being)...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment