Saturday, June 13, 2020

Just Finished Reading Son by Lois Lowry

I've been reading Lois Lowry's four-part young adult science fiction/fantasy Giver series...I just finished reading the final book, titled Son, from 2012.  In it Claire, a young teenager in a rigid future society where the concept of "love" is unknown and babies are born to artificially-inseminated workers selected for carrying and bearing children, has her baby, which she is denied access to as its mother.  The rest of the story is devoted to her quest to reunite with Gabriel after she secretly finds out his identity but loses him after he is spirited away...the story of Gabriel's escape is told at the end of the first novel, titled The Giver.  In pursuit of her little boy, Claire undergoes her own adventures and trials...including meeting up with an evil entity called the Trademaster, introduced in the preceding book Messenger.  I thought the story was compelling and glad to see the author tying together the various lead characters from each of the series' books.  Jonas, Kira, Matt...and of course Claire and Gabe...figure into how the story develops and is resolved.  You may like it, too...one of the features I liked of each story is how different people discover their own special gifts and use them for bettering the lives of those around them...

No comments:

Post a Comment