It looks as if the Triple Crown in horse racing will finally begin...but much later and in a different order and time spacing. The Belmont Stakes, run from Long Island, New York and originally set for June 6th, will take place this coming Saturday the 20th in an arena devoid of spectators with NBC beginning coverage at 3 pm. The distance of this traditionally long race is being shortened from 1½ to 1⅛ mile, and more horses than usual are entered to run in this event, which like the Kentucky Derby and Preakness, is specifically designed for three-year-old thoroughbreds. Speaking of those races, Churchill Downs' Kentucky Derby and Baltimore's Preakness, originally slated for May, have been postponed to September 5th and October 3rd, respectively...all, of course, due to the coronavirus pandemic. I'm looking forward to watching the Belmont race this weekend, but first I'll take a look at the lineup and see if there are any particular horses I might want to root for...
As for the rest of the sporting world whose seasons have been disrupted so far this year, I'm taking a wait-and see-attitude since each league, be it Major League Baseball, Major League Soccer, the National Basketball Association or the National Hockey League, has its own situation and issues to work out...with the latter two, though, I note that the year is moving on even if they aren't and pretty soon they'll be overlapping the 2020-21 season if they don't either quickly agree and implement an action plan or call an end to the 2019-20 season. If they resume play in any of these leagues, I'll watch on TV but there's no way I'll pay for any premium channel...I'm a sports fan but not a sports fanatic...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment