Friday, May 15, 2020

Quote of the Week...from Stephen King

Talent is cheaper than table salt.  What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.                                                ---Stephen King.

Since I reviewed Stephen King's latest book yesterday, I thought it would be natural to dig up one of his quotes and expand upon it.  And if there is anyone who understands the importance of hard work it's this terrific, durable and prolific writer.  I have a copy of King's book On Writing, in which he gives his knowledgeable input on what it takes to be successful in that craft.  First, he admits that a raw, innate talent is essential to becoming a great writer, but most of us can become good writers if we're willing to invest the needed time and properly-directed effort.  Like the late science fiction writer Isaac Asimov, King sets aside a daily time and place to write his stories and would "just do it", much like anyone punching in on a clock would set themselves in "work mode" for the duration of their shift.  On top of this, Stephen King deems extensive reading as essential to being a success in writing...so now we're talking "overtime".  Asimov for his part, even when he wasn't sitting in front of a typewriter, claimed to write in his head and was always on the alert for new ideas. Unfortunately, unlike the sci-fi great, when I get an idea I'd better quickly write it down lest I forget it...and even when I do, sometimes I later have forgotten the point of the idea in the first place...

Stephen King's quote about hard work applies to any endeavor requiring a kernel of talent: its successful development depends on tenaciously sweating it out and putting in the needed hours...there's no way around it...

No comments:

Post a Comment