I'm not sure what to think lately about the weather forecasters in my area...for both yesterday and today they had pointed to showers in the afternoon but nothing materialized: it's 5 pm and the skies are clear and sunny. Still, I decided to get in my weekend long training run in earlier, in spite of the extremely high humidity. When I started out it was a moderate 74 degrees but a very, very muggy 87% humidity...by the time I finished my ten mile run it was 79 with a still pretty high 73% humidity. Usually this high humidity is something I have little tolerance for with my running, but as it turned out I felt strong enough throughout that not only did I reduce my interspersed walking breaks, but I extended my planned run from 7.2 miles to 10 with no ill effects and plenty of energy left at the end. After 10:30 am when I started out, the very unpleasantly muggy air might at least partially explain why I saw no one on my residential subdivision course, either on the street or in their yards, for most of the first hour. Then, suddenly, as if they got some kind of signal, everyone seemed to come outside and I found myself repeatedly crossing the street in order to avoid other walkers and joggers And the conditions did seem to get better, including a pleasant little breeze whenever I was running northward...
Right now it's 88 degrees and only 49% humidity, conditions that I prefer when running. With today's run I was sweating profusely...I looked when I got back home as if I had just climbed out of someone's swimming pool. So I was being a bit facetious with this article's title depicted it as a "fun" run: anything but. Yet it was a confidence builder in that it demonstrated to me my growing ability to handle a wider variety of weather situations...in years gone by high humidity coupled with even only moderately warm temperatures affected me adversely with my running. Looking forward to seeing what happens next weekend...
Sunday, May 17, 2020
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment