Sunday, May 3, 2020

13.5 Mile Run Today Under Relentlessly Sunny Sky

This afternoon I went on my long weekend run with the aim of duplicating my success of April 11th when I covered 13.3 miles. I managed 13.5 miles under a relentlessly sunny sky although the temperature was moderate between 79 and 83 degrees while the humidity hovered around 51%.  This week I was careful to eat plenty of carbs the day before, pre-hydrate and not run as fast a pace as I did last week.  At the end of the run I was still pretty tired, though...but my recovery afterwards seems to be going fine.  I tweaked my running course to add a section of NW 37th Street off NW 53rd Avenue...I used to run down it on my long distance training runs back in 2010-11.  But after finishing this run today, I feel I need to reconsider my goal of progressively longer distances...especially knowing that with the progression of spring into summer here in northern Florida the temperatures will inevitably climb into the 90s.  So, happy that I was able to cover two half-marathons in each of April and May, I think that at least for the foreseeable future I'll cut the distance on these weekend long runs to something more manageable, like 7-10 miles.  As far as the people I encountered along the way, they were few and far between, in curious contrast to last Sunday's run when everyone seemed out and about...the weather conditions seemed about the same, go figure.  I much prefer overcast skies on my running outings and not having a cloud in the sky...something many others probably love...made me want to go inside and draw my curtains closed.  Well, I'm now inside with the curtains drawn and the air-conditioning going full blast...and the coffee pot has just finished brewing.  Now to enjoy the rest of my day off...

No comments:

Post a Comment