These epic fantasy series dominated by war with characters built up by their fighting abilities and courage may appeal to many, but to me they've become one-dimensional and stale. I much prefer those fantasy stories and series that impart a sense of a special world within this one of ours such as J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter, Lev Grossman’s The Magicians (but not the TV adaptation) and Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere. Still, I’ve stuck with Butcher’s series and only have one more book left: sometimes a tedious series can be redeemed by a novel ending, which I’m hoping awaits me in the final volume, titled First Lord’s Fury…
Saturday, March 28, 2020
Just Finished Reading Princep's Fury by Jim Butcher
I just finished reading Jim Butcher’s 2008 novel Princep’s
Fury, the fifth and next-to-last volume in his Codex Alera fantasy
series. Since a lot has happened over
the course of this series, just about anything I have to discuss here in
specifics is doomed to spoil the plot in some way, so if you’re planning on
reading this series you might want to pass on this article. On the other hand, if we’re talking about
perpetual war with humanity’s existence at stake, not a whole lot has
changed since the first volume. The
enemies from one book sometimes become allies in the next, usually due to the
wisdom, courage, and perseverance of the main protagonist, a young man name
Tavi who by the time of Princep’s Fury has discovered (along with
everybody else), that he is really Octavian Gaius, the heir to the throne of
First Ruler of Alera now occupied by his grandfather Gaius Sextus. People on this fantasy planet of Carna are
imbued with special supernatural skills called furycrafting in which
they can “craft” natural elements such as wind, water, air and fire to serve as
extensions to themselves…a planet full of folks with superhero abilities but
who still can’t figure out how to get along with each other. There are nonhumans here as well, usually in
a state of war against the humans, most notably the giant wolf-like Canim, the
Marat and the Icemen. But they are uniting with the people of Alera against the
ultimate foe: the Borg-like Vord who are intent on replacing all other life on
this God-forsaken world that no one in his or her right mind would ever want to
live on, superhuman abilities or not.
The narrative usually hops back and forth among the three main
characters of Tavi, Isana (his mother), and Amara, a young woman serving Gaius
Sextus as one of his courier-spies as they struggle to gain alliances and
combat the Vord...
These epic fantasy series dominated by war with characters built up by their fighting abilities and courage may appeal to many, but to me they've become one-dimensional and stale. I much prefer those fantasy stories and series that impart a sense of a special world within this one of ours such as J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter, Lev Grossman’s The Magicians (but not the TV adaptation) and Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere. Still, I’ve stuck with Butcher’s series and only have one more book left: sometimes a tedious series can be redeemed by a novel ending, which I’m hoping awaits me in the final volume, titled First Lord’s Fury…
These epic fantasy series dominated by war with characters built up by their fighting abilities and courage may appeal to many, but to me they've become one-dimensional and stale. I much prefer those fantasy stories and series that impart a sense of a special world within this one of ours such as J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter, Lev Grossman’s The Magicians (but not the TV adaptation) and Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere. Still, I’ve stuck with Butcher’s series and only have one more book left: sometimes a tedious series can be redeemed by a novel ending, which I’m hoping awaits me in the final volume, titled First Lord’s Fury…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment