Thursday, March 26, 2020

Feeling Absence of Sports on TV

It feels a bit strange not being able to discuss sports on this blog...other than Tom Brady signing with the Tampa Bay Bucs the other day, there's nothing much of interest going on...no hockey, basketball, soccer or baseball due to the coronavirus pandemic.  The Tokyo Summer Olympics have been postponed for another year and the Kentucky Derby, the first leg in the Triple Crown for three-year-old thoroughbreds, has been moved back to September...I wonder if horses that turn four by the new date will be ineligible to run in it.  Of course, we would normally be thick in the middle of the NCAA March Madness basketball tournament right now with the NBA and NHL playoffs to look forward to...and Major League Baseball would have been starting its regular season within a week.  Having no sports to watch other than boring reruns of past games is tough for me since I've gotten into the habit, after getting home from work late in the evening, of looking up a game in progress...since they're more concentrated in the western U.S. at this time I've grown to follow teams out there more than the ones closer by (GO Oregon Ducks and BYU Cougars!).  But that's all out the window now.  Last night when I got home I switched the TV to C-Span2, where they showed live the United States Senate votes on the $2 trillion stimulus bill...they passed it 96-0 after days of tough negotiations and don't plan to reconvene until April 20th.  I want us to get out of this pandemic and for the economy to recover as well...the two need to go hand in hand.  Yet I foresee the coronavirus being with us for many months ahead, long after it has peaked (whenever that happens)...who's going to decide when and whether to resume sports and what criteria will they use?

No comments:

Post a Comment