Sunday, January 19, 2020

NFL to Decide Super Bowl Teams Today

Let's see...at this writing the National Football League conference championship games haven't yet begun...at 3 the American Conference title game between Tennessee and Kansas City starts, on the Chiefs' home field.  Then, at 6:30 Green Bay will take their hopes to San Francisco to decide the National Conference championship...and then we'll be set for the Super Bowl, to take place in Miami on February 2nd.  Before last weekend's round I had hopes for Seattle and Kansas City to make it to today, but the Seahawks just couldn't come back in the end against the Packers...now I'm cheering on Aaron Rodgers to upset the 49ers (after losing to them 37-8 earlier this season).  KC lost their earlier game to the Titans as well, but much closer: 35-32.  Tennessee is on a roll, with their offensive attack revolving around the rushing exploits of Derrick Henry and the effective field management of quarterback Ryan Tannehill.  Tannehill is an example of why it's hard to judge a player by his statistics and effectiveness with just one team: he fits the Titans' offensive scheme but didn't so much when he was with Miami.  I've heard that the Miami Dolphins missed out on an opportunity during their Nick Saban 'era' to pick up Drew Brees, but you similarly cannot automatically assume that Brees would have achieved the same level of success with them that he accomplished with New Orleans over the course of his professional career.  I wish Tannehill a successful career, but not today when he's playing against one of "my" teams.  As for the Chiefs, I'm all on board with their quarterback Patrick Mahomes but still feel little bit edgy after his team spotted Houston a 24-0 lead in last week's game: with Henry chewing up the clock on his runs, they may find themselves running out of time to catch up if they do that again this week...

So what I want today is to see Green Bay vs. Kansas City in the Super Bowl, a rematch of the first one ever played, following the 1966 season...or, as someone on the radio termed it, the State Farm Bowl (Rodgers and Mahomes are regulars on their commercials).  Still, even if today's games don't turn out the way I want, I'm looking forward to the final contest.  After all, the New England Patriots are out of the running, regardless...yeehaw!

No comments:

Post a Comment